Here are some examples of prices in Istanbul so you can budget for your trip:
- Tram Ticket: 2.50 TL (US$ 0.10)
- Half litre bottle of water: 1 TL (US$ 0.10)
- Tea: Between 1 TL (US$ 0.10) and 2.50 TL (US$ 0.10) (depending on the area you are in).
- Soft Drink: Between 2 TL (US$ 0.10) and 3 TL (US$ 0.20)
- Lamb Kebab: Between 20 TL (US$ 1.10) and 30 TL (US$ 1.60)
- Pint of beer: Around 8 TL (US$ 0.40) (Beer is expensive in Istanbul).
- Dinner for two in a standard restaurant: 40 TL (US$ 2.20) without wine.
- Double room in a central hotel: From100 TL (US$ 5.50) per night.
- Taxi from the airport: 130 TL (US$ 7.10).
- Monuments: From 10 TL (US$ 0.50) a 30 TL (US$ 1.60).
Pay in the local currency
Although in many places you can pay in euros or dollars without any problem, the best option is to pay in the local currency. Otherwise, the exchange rate is usually not especially good.